Prajnesh Gunneswaran flays US Open rules after missing cut | Tennis News

BENGALURU: India No. 2 Prajnesh Gunneswaran was ‘one out’ of the US Open men’s singles field when he left Chennai on Tuesday night. His position remained unchanged till late on Thursday, when the draws were made.
It’s over and out nowere to stay back in New York for the next couple of days, in the hope of a late withdrawal from the event, he won’t be considered because he’s not in the tournament bubble. Tennis’ new rule, courtesy the pandemic, strictures doubles players as singles alternates.
At No. 132, Gunneswaran was out by five places when the list of direct entries for the men’s field was first announced earlier in the month.
India’s Sumit Nagal was the last man in for a Grand Slam being played without singles qualifiers. Gunneswaran told TOI, “I took a chance and came, hoping that once I got here, there would be a pullout and I would get in. I was very close but didn’t make it unfortunately. It happens.”
The Chennai-based pro, who was ranked as high as No. 75 last April, expressed his displeasure at the alternates rule, which he was aware of from the get-go.
“The US Open should have made provision for a few alternates. I don’t think it’s right that they allowed for zero alternates,” he said.
“In my opinion, if you’re allowing coaches, trainers and physios, why can’t you add five additional singles players to the tournament bubble?
“There are likely to be one or two pullouts on Saturday and Sunday. Even if I was to stay on, I wouldn’t be able to play because of this rule,” he said.
“We were not able to influence that as players. I know that the ATP asked for it, but the US Open decides when it comes to this. I don’t understand how we as players don’t have enough say in this tug-of-war. These are things that we all as players have to think of, going forward.”

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*