Herbert Crossley – The heavyweight who was destined for big things but had his life cut tragically short

Yorkshire heavyweight Herbert Crossley’s US trip started with a fight with the legendary Gene Tunney but ended in tragic circumstances soon after

THE South Yorkshire town of Mexborough, perhaps best known for its coal-mining roots, was once a hotbed of boxing. Before World War II, fights were held there regularly and the town produced some top fistic talent, not least British heavyweight champion Iron Hague and British light-heavyweight titlist Harry Crossley. But arguably the most gifted boxer to emerge from Mexborough was one whose career ended tragically early. He was Harry’s elder brother, Herbert.

The third of four brothers, Herbert Crossley was
born in Swinton, near Mexborough, on May 5, 1901. He had his first pro contest at
age 16, beating a Rotherham youngster called Quinn in two rounds at Mexborough’s
Empire Theatre in December 1917. Herbert had more bouts in and around
Mexborough before fighting further afield in Sheffield, Doncaster and
Manchester. In July 1919, he won a novices’ heavyweight competition at British
boxing’s HQ, the National Sporting Club in Covent Garden.

While still in his teens, Crossley beat British
light-heavyweight title challenger Harry Curzon, ex-titlist Harry Reeve and
future champion Tom Berry. He also drew with reigning British middleweight
champ Tom Gummer and beat future British and European middleweight king Gus
Platts, albeit with a size advantage over Gummer and Platts. Crossley worked
for a time at the Manvers Main Colliery in tandem with his prize-ring career.

At 5ft 10ins, Herbert was a small heavyweight, even by
the standards of the day. He was not a naturally ferocious fighter – his
success was built on scientific boxing. He was never knocked out nor did he win
a fight by knockout, but he compensated for this lack of a KO punch with speed,
stamina, cleverness, pluck and patience, as well as an ardent devotion to his

After seeing him box in London, the veteran American manager Charlie Harvey urged Herbert to come to the States. Although reluctant at first, when Jimmy Wilde gave him the same advice, he agreed to a short US trip. He set off alone on August 20, 1921 aboard the Cunard liner Scythia, joining a party of British boxers already in the States – including Gus Platts and Joe Conn – about three weeks later.

Under the care of Harvey, Crossley trained at New
York’s famous Grupp’s gym on 116th Street and Eighth Avenue where the fighters
worked out before members of the public, who paid a quarter to watch them train
and spar. Harvey’s fighters took an instant liking to the young Mexborough
boxer, who got first-class tuition and sparring from such top-notchers as Jim
Coffey, Bartley Madden, Mike McTigue and Frank Moran. Moran, who had fought
Jack Johnson for the world heavyweight crown, sparred with Crossley most days
and predicted a great future for him.

There was no mollycoddling the Brit, however. His first US fight was against future world heavyweight champ Gene Tunney, who outpointed him on September 26 over the odd distance of seven rounds, the bout being shortened to fit the show’s time schedule. In a letter home, Herbert admitted that Gene deserved the decision. But after losing his next bout, against Al Roberts of Staten Island on November 9, Crossley wrote in a telegram, “Beat Roberts. Robbed of decision”, and most ringside reporters agreed with him.

was the final fight of Herbert’s promising career. The next day he fell ill and
spent several days in bed with flu. As his condition worsened,
he was admitted to New York’s Roosevelt Hospital. Despite
receiving a blood transfusion, he died there on November 20 from septicaemia,
aged just 20. His body was embalmed and sailed back to Britain where the
stunned people of Mexborough gave him a grand funeral befitting his talent and
popularity in the town.

Charlie Harvey was so impressed with Herbert, before
his untimely death he had persuaded him to stay in America for another two
years. In a letter to the Crossley family, Harvey wrote poignantly: “I want you
to know the real esteem and high opinion that Herbert was held in here, and
everybody with whom Herbert came in contact both respected and liked him,
because of his straightforward, simple, honest ways, and likeable disposition. While
only a boy in years, he had the highest and best of principles…

“He had unquestionably a big career ahead of him, as
he had improved a thousand per cent since his arrival here, and would
absolutely have made his mark in the business. My personal opinion of the boy
cannot be described in words at my command, but I will simply say he was a man,
every inch of him, and in every way.”

Herbert’s obituary in the South Yorkshire Times
described him as “amiable, mild-tempered, well-behaved, a total abstainer, very
fond of his home and family, and caring for nothing but them and his ring
career. He was not the ‘roaring blade’ we are accustomed to associate with
pugilism but quite modest and unassuming.”

In Britain, Herbert was being talked of as a
possible future British heavyweight champion. I suspect, though, that he may
have done better by dropping to light-heavyweight, the weight at which his
younger brother Harry found fame. Eight years after Herbert’s death, almost to
the day, Harry brought glory to Mexborough by winning the British light-heavy
crown from Frank Moody. I’m sure he raised a glass that evening for his late elder

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.